Moving

Hello there very small number of readers! It's been about a month I think, since I last wrote a blog. I've actually been wanting to write this blog ever since I heard from my mom that we're moving houses. This is going to be more of a story.



I was sweeping the last section of the floor of the living room while my brothers got rid of the remaining trash. I finished sweeping the last pile of dust and went to help my brothers with carrying the luggage to our car.

After putting my bags on the backseat of the car, I went back inside the house. What I saw inside was an empty husk of a poor animal, devoid of its organs and emotions. There was no furniture left in the house and it was sort of satisying after exhausting ourselves with packing things from morning to evening. My dad and brothers were moving the final few remaining stuff. I didn't bother to help since they were plenty enough for that task. Instead, I had the urge to walk around the house to have a final look.

 I walked to the kitchen and saw the huge black marble table, empty spots where our fridges used to be, and the outdoor kitchen where we always cook at. 

'The house pours a bit of a strange reminiscing liquid into this wine glass, there was no color to it but when I looked deep into the strange liquid, there were reflections of the past being dispIayed. I saw the reflections of me making scrambled eggs while my mom was sauteing mushrooms beside me.'

I walked upstairs even though my legs begged me not to after working for a whole day. I passed by nails in the wall, where we used to hang family pictures and paintings. I climbed the last few remaining stairs and the first thing I saw was what used to be shelves brimming with hundreds of books that somehow fit. What's now left was dust that wasn't swept away. I looked at my parents' bedroom, the tv room, and finally, my room. 

'The house fills the glass till it was half full. I looked inside it again. I saw myself playing video games with my brother while listening to Backstreet Boys, me fighting with my brother because of some funny reason, and me watching movies with my parents.'

I walked downstairs to see that my brothers have finished their work and we're about to go out and have dinner. 

"alright boys, say your final goodbyes to the house." Mom said to us.

I decided to kiss the house goodbye instead of saying anything. I considered kissing the floor but my logical mind said to reject the bacteria there. So I kissed the wall of the living room instead. My mom took a picture of it while laughing.

I stepped outside and took my shoes to the car as my dad locked the door. I took one last look at the house and went inside the car, glad that my feet could finally rest comfortably.

We had dinner at an aesthetic restaurant. The carbonara was pretty good. The coffee was a bit disappointing though. We all were tired so we finished dinner early. I said goodbye to my brothers as they were staying at someplace else and went back to the car. I was sitting at the front seat, my mom was on the driver's seat, and my sister was playing games with her tablet at the back. We waited for my dad to drive ahead of us to guide us to the apartment.
We were on the highway sitting through traffic.

"It's sort of emotional isn't it?" I asked my mom

She paused for a moment "Yeah, we've been living in that house for so long." My mom said

"A whole decade. 10 years! I still marvel at that."

"Me too. I'm going to miss that house."

"You know, I still remember the first time I visited that house. It was night time and I followed you and dad. There was no furniture and wires were hanging on the ceiling." I said.

"There were not even lights!" My mom said, laughing at the memory.

"I also remember when I was playing games in my room when suddenly, you called me from downstairs. I was walking down the stairs then I froze. I saw you holding a baby in your arms." I said. 

Then I looked at my little sister sleeping peacefully at the back with boxes beside her.

'I could see the liquid in my glass slowly evaporate. I'm scared that one day, this certain glass of mine will forever dry out.'




Comments

Popular Posts